Friday, February 2, 2007

Such a wonderful writing exercise

Briana has links to other blogs and this is just lovely. This Mom who is an incredible writer did this exercise called I am from. the form can be found at her blog at Owlhaven.blogspot.com. I promsie to do my own version but I would LOVE it if you would all do it and post it on this blog. I think this would be an amazing way for Rowan once she can read to find out new things about the people who love her.

Here was what the Owlhaven woman wrote..
I Am From….
I am from thunderstorms and muggy nights and green-sky tornado warnings. From Cream of Wheat on school mornings, and White Castle burgers on Sundays and Dreft sitting on the washer when another new baby was on the way.
I am from the white parsonage next to the brick church surrounded by oak trees rustling in the breeze. I am from June bugs and fireflies on summer evenings. From oak tree whose acorns pelted unsuspecting friends from the leafy heights, from Four’O’Clocks that looked divine tucked in little girls’ hair.
I am from churchgoers and readers and baby-lovers, from Leonard and Marie and Hazel and Dale and Marvin and Julia. I am from inquisitive minds, and skillful hands, and loving hearts.
From “all things work together for good” and “ don’t wear those shorts– they’re indecent.”
I am from forever-Lutherans who believe you work hard and trust God for the rest of it. I’m from Nebraska farmers who survived a tornado and put baby chicks in the bathtub for safekeeping when the chicken house blew away. From Swedes and Norwegians and Germans.
From mom’s homemade pizza and granola and whole wheat bread. From “Aunt Edie” pancakes slathered with butter and powdered sugar. From whole milk straight from the farm where we petted the calves and they sucked our fingers with sandpaper tongues. From apples we got by riding a ferry boat and visiting an orchard ourselves.
From the grandmother who got kittens for me to dress and trundle in baby carriages when I visited each summer, from the grandfather who called me Emsie, and the other grandfather who farmed so full-bore that when he stopped he could fall asleep in the midst of the noisiest gatherings.
I am from Polaroids and Kodak Instamatics whose flash cubes blinded your eyes then were tossed in the trash. From black-paged photo albums where precious pictures were placed with loving hands, and family and faith were valued above all the rust-gathering trinkets that any amount of money could buy.

3 comments:

CommuniKate said...

I am trying to get access
to "comments" on your blog.
GranMumSuzy

CommuniKate said...

I am Miss Rowan Lilia's GranMum,
mom to Thom.
I love the earth, the sky, the flowers, and all I see....I love that Rowan is impressed by being outside on walks each day.
I love that she has two devoted parents, who will strive to make her all that she hopes to be.
I loved cornmeal mush, school,
sunday school, my bike, skates, and teachers.
I loved going to school and learning to read, learning about
how plants grew, about this earth, and how delicate the balance was...our earth is just the right distance from the sun...
I loved my physical body..jumping, running, climbing, and as I got older, I realized that not everyone could be as fast as I was, or as agile as I was, and I learned compassion.
My favorite colors were RED and
BLUE...didn't like soft or fuzzy colors. I WAS A BLACK AND WHITE
person. No longer. I see all colors, all are good.
My favorite foods....um...
Nothing tooo spicy, but I do
like Mexican, Italian, Thai, and
"American" burgers and fries.
I love seeing scenes from nature...sky, landscape and
I cheer artists who can capture
a SUNNY seascape, or a STORMY mountainscape.
I love to laugh...especially at myself, I love to be glad to be
"there" where-ever I am.
I happily go out into this world.

I Thank God for my family and that I can be in their lives,
I am so delighted that Rowan
has sooooo many wonderful people in her life.

Today is good,
Hugs to Miss Rowan Lilia
"peanut" "pee-wee" Olson.
GranMumSuzy

Karen said...

Rowan, you are from two Weasel parents who eat waffles mit slagroom. They travel the world in seach of fine art, great foods and with good friends.

 
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker